Saturday, February 21, 2015

Word Worship {Ishmael Beah}

I'll preface today's quote by saying: thank goodness for the written word. As I sit in my bedroom typing this to you, I am grateful for the power of words, for their ability to bring perspective directly into our hands and for their power to make our hearts feel more than would be possible without them. These words below are the words of a real person, who experienced real horrors that we cannot imagine; he thought to share them with us so that we may understand just a tiny piece of his heartbreak and his story. If you haven't yet read A Long Way Gone, I highly recommend it.

***
"Some nights the skies wept stars that quickly floated and disappeared into the darkness before our wishes could meet them."
-Ishmael Beah, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier 

***

I'll be keeping these beautiful words in mind this weekend as I remind myself to move a bit more slowly, to sink into the comforts of a good book, and to express gratitude for many, many things in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment