Friday, October 6, 2017

How to Read More in Your Busiest Seasons with Kate Lane

Hey Readers!

Today I'm introducing you to one of my favorite new bookstagram friends. Kate makes me laugh daily in her Instagram stories, has great reading taste, and is an overall cheery and wonderful human. I'm so glad to have her here to talk about how to read more in busy seasons of life.

• • •


Hi, book friends! My name is Kate, and I’m the reader behind @katereadsbooks_! I’m a graduate student pursuing my Masters in Counseling in my hometown of Birmingham, AL! Oh, and I am also a TOTAL bookworm!

Since staring my bookstagram account, I have received endless questions on how I find the time to fit reading into my already busy schedule (commuting back and forth to grad school, running around like a crazy person at my internship, studying for qualifying exams, etc). BUT, obviously, I’m not the only book addict who is busy! Life can be crazy and sometimes finding time to read is difficult, and may even feel impossible during some seasons of life. Today, I wanted to share a few tips that I've picked up along the way that I hope will help and encourage you to read more in spite of your already full schedule. (Also, pre-apologies for my excessive use of words in caps, but I NEED you to feel my emphasis.)

1. Always have a book with you.  

We’ve already established that life is crazy, but you NEVER know when some downtime may present itself. Be ready by always carrying a book with you! I know that I’m definitely more inclined to waste time on social media during those free minutes, but I ALWAYS feel more productive when I spend that time reading rather than scrolling!




2. Audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks.

You may not have endless time to sit down and read, so wouldn't it be nice to be able to read WHILE doing other tasks?! HELLO, AUDIOBOOKS! You know what you can do while you listen to an audiobook? Pretty much anything: drive, do laundry, cook, go for a run, go for a walk (more my style), get your nails done, clean your house, etc. Look at all this available reading time I just found for you!!! Audiobooks are the perfect way to find time to fit more books into your busy schedule. (Ps use your local library card to download audiobooks on apps like Hoopla and Overdrive!)




3. Put your phone up while reading.

If my phone is anywhere near me when I’m reading, I WILL get distracted, I have a feeling that I’m not the only one who’s like this… So getting rid of that distraction will open up more focused reading time! I have started to leave my phone in another room when I’m reading. This tip doesn't really create MORE time to read, but it does help you to better devote the little time you do have to actually reading!




4. Read books you LOVE.

I’m a firm believer that we find time for the things we love. If you’re super engrossed in a book, and can't wait to find out what happens next, you’ll have no problem watching less TV to finish it! Reading books you love, and putting down books you don't enjoy will help keep you far away from a reading slump that could SERIOUSLY kill your reading life! When people tell me they don't like reading, I tell them that they’re just not reading the right books for them! Find books you truly love, even if it’s in a genre you wouldn't have expected, and you will read more than you think possible. Promise.

And now for my last and absolute favorite tip…




5. Completely ignore all your work, and spend most of your time reading.

Now, this tip is one that I’m pretty fond of, and utilize often. I only WISH I were kidding!! This was meant to be funny, and make you laugh, but honestly, sometimes this is how I get reading done! I completely ignore everything and choose to read a book instead. Sometimes it’s needed (#selfcare), and sometimes it’s a total avoidance method. BUT, it is a real way that I find time to read in my busy life.

5 comments:

  1. Amen to #4! I've been in a slump in September and am now determined to read only awesome books for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! And #4 is so true! I always have a harder time when I’m just starting a book and I’m not quite “into” it yet — once I’ve settled into a story, I find it a lot more compelling to pick up even if it’s just a page or two while my toddler is occupied :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie (Alaneys Book Nook)October 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM

    I love tip #2. However, it's been a struggle for me to add in more books this way, because I need the reader and voice to engage me. If they don't I struggle to pay attention to the person who's reading the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 is funny because it's true! I've recently discovered the joy of listening to audiobooks while doing things other than driving. Hoopla is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #5: I seriously wish I could dump ALL of my work and just read read read! These are awesome tips! Although I've tried audiobooks and just can't seem to stay focused on them. I plan to keep trying, but so far no luck.

    ReplyDelete