Thursday, August 28, 2014

Update: Books I've Read {July & August}

Every couple months I look back at the books I've read and reflect on the good, the bad, and the captivating. I've actually found that my reading pace has slowed this year, not surprisingly because I now spend quite a bit more time writing than I used to. Regardless of your reading speed, summer is the time to catch up on your to-read list and I've been making good on those currently coveting wish lists lately. In July and August, I read a total of nine books, bringing my 2014 total to 35 books so far. I'm happy that I got to check off another book for my classics challenge (one that I actually liked!), but my absolute favorites from these months were Euphoria and The Book of Life.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
5 Stars
{Number two of four for my classics challenge...definitely earned a spot on my "forever favorites" shelf!}
The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
5 Stars
{Keep an eye out for a post on this finale to the All Souls Trilogy. One word: amazing.}
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
4 Stars
Read my review here.
Euphoria by Lily King
5 Stars
Read my review here.

Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris
3 Stars
Read my review here.
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch
4 Stars
Read my review here.
The Quick by Lauren Owen
4 Stars
Read my review here.
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
5 Stars
{This was a re-read, but just as good the second time around!}
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
4 Stars
{P.S. If you read this as required reading in middle school and didn't love it, give it another shot. For me, re-reading it now gave me an entirely different perspective. It was poignant.}




No comments:

Post a Comment