Monday, August 4, 2014

Library Sale Spoils

I've been not-so-patiently waiting for the annual Friends of the Library Sale since I arrived home for the summer. Most public libraries hold this type of sale at least once a year and I highly recommend going to them! Not only are the books priced from 25 cents to just a few dollars, but the proceeds go towards benefitting the library (so you can feel good about binging on books). I's a great way for library staff to clear out books that haven't been circulating, as well as encourage people to donate the books that they've already read or didn't like. I'll take any excuse to get an armload of books while contributing to the library's needs, so I was seriously counting down the minutes until the sale started. Below you'll find my picks:

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
{Recognize the author? She wrote The Secret Life of Bees and this year's The Invention of Wings}

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant

The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton
{For research purposes, you know, just in case a certain someone makes a big announcement soon.}

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
{This has been on my to-read list for years. So excited that I found it for just a dollar!}

The Doll People by Martin Godwin Selznick
{This was a favorite of mine when I was younger, and from looking it up on Goodreads I just found out that it's the first in a series! Definitely going on my re-read list.}

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
{This has been on my Amazon wish list for months. So glad I waited to purchase it and instead found it at the sale!}

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
{One of the.best.books.ever. So fascinating, and one of the few nonfiction books that I'll always have on my favorites list.}

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl
The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
The books are often in new or almost-new condition, and this year I had really good luck in finding books that have been on my to-read list for a while now. For the record, although I came home with a massive pile (and I'm not joking when I say that my arms were sore the day after from carrying such a big stack), I did donate about three boxes of books to the sale to make room for the ones I knew I would inevitably buy. Although when is buying a one dollar book not justifiable? (Rhetorical question.)

No comments:

Post a Comment