Monday, August 18, 2014

Back to School Booklist

August has been flying by and it's almost time for back to school! As a college student, my summer vacations start in the first week of May, so heading back to school in September is a nice change after a long break. Plus, back to school means new school supplies (and we all know there's nothing better than that)!

As a child, I was always super excited about the first day back at school. I came home every day after school only to sit my dolls down at their desks, write out their lessons, and assign them homework. The fact that I had both a whiteboard and chalkboard at the ready for "playing school" is proof that the classroom has always been my happy place. However, that's not to say that I never got nervous on the first day back. I still get nervous for the first day of classes each semester, and I'd be willing to bet money that on my first day as a teacher, I'll be a nervous wreck. The anxiousness that many students feel going back to school comes with the territory of new spaces, new routines, and greater expectations.

To help transition from summer mode to the back to school mindset, I've picked a few books that feature the theme of school (and the first day back), some of which feature beloved characters that your child may already love reading about. Reading a few of these books with your child may help facilitate a conversation about the things that they are most and least looking forward to, and could be helpful during those first few days back, as they ease into a new routine!

{Click on the titles to view book descriptions in Goodreads and find links to purchase online!}

The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
The Night Before First Grade by Natasha Wing
Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey Vernick
Miss Nelson is Missing! by Harry Allard
Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London
Back-To-School Rules by Laurie B. Friedman
The Berenstain Bears Go Back to School by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Arthur's Back to School Day by Lillian Hoban
Back to School, Mallory by Laurie B. Friedman
Amelia Bedelia Goes Back to School by Herman Parish
It's Back to School, Charlie Brown by Charles M. Schulz
First Grade Stinks! by Mary Ann Rodman
Second Grade Rules, Amber Brown by Paula Danzinger

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment