Wednesday, October 8, 2014

New Chapter Books! (& A Note To Parents)

Hi there! I know things have been a tad slow around here lately, and although I'd like to blame it on schoolwork and being the busiest bee on the planet, it's probably just because the fall TV shows have started and I am addicted to watching all of them, until I settle on about three or four that I am in love with and will follow for the rest of the season. That being said, there's lots of work going on behind the scenes here on Top Shelf Text, and today I'm unveiling the 6-8 Year Old Chapter Book selection, which you can peruse at your leisure by clicking the tab at the top of the page.

Two quick things I want to emphasize here:

I recognize that the majority of books on this list are aimed at mostly girl audiences. I am working on that, I promise. Many of these books come recommended by my favorite littles, and it just so happens that most of them are girls. I am seeking out more gender-neutral content and will have it up there whenever I come across it!

More importantly, these are books that I've labeled for the 6-8 year age range, but one very important aspect of raising a good reader is knowing that those labels are often misleading. Sometimes, children read at, above, or below their given "age range," and that's one hundred percent okay! Reading is super important and necessary in developing so many life skills, but it's also supposed to be fun! The level of each book helps teachers and parents gauge which ones are developmentally appropriate for their children, but I would never recommend against giving a child a book that's above or below their level. Case in point, I am an almost-twenty-two year old who enjoys reading chapter books for 9-12 year olds. Weird? I think not. (Okay, maybe a teensy bit weird. But I'm a lover of upper-elementary curriculum, and that's where you find the best books, in my opinion!) So don't be afraid to pick a book that you think your child will enjoy, regardless of it's level. If it turns out to be difficult, shared reading is always an option for scaffolding emerging readers and is another great way to bond with your child over literature!

Last but not least, if you have any books that your child loves and you think should be on this list, or you want a specific recommendation for your child, email me at topshelftext@gmail.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment