Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Currently Coveting {March}

March is finally here!
I know that February is the shortest month of the year, but did anyone else have the feeling that it took forever for March to arrive? Here in New England, March came in like a lion -- with a sprinkling of snow. I am so ready for spring weather, so I'm keeping my chin up and crossing my fingers for warmer temperatures soon! I am seriously daydreaming of laying on the grass in the sunshine with a book and an ice coffee in hand. Spring, please hurry!!

I went to the library this past weekend for the first time in forever, and had great luck in finding a book that has me completely enraptured and reading passages out loud to anyone who will listen. (Hint: You can see what I'm reading by checking out the "Currently Reading" widget on the right-hand side of your screen.)

I have so many awesome books on my shelves right now waiting to be read, so sometimes I think to myself, why am I even looking for new books? My roommate even asked why I was going to the library when I have about ten books stacked on my desk that I haven't gotten to yet. All I can say is, it's an addiction. For this month's currently coveting, I stumbled across three books that are sure to make it into my library stack at some point this year.


The Goddess and the Thief by Essie Fox // This book caught my eye because of its beautiful cover art, but the story inside sounds just as intriguing. Victorian influences, a plot to steal an exotic diamond, and a collection of eccentric characters all under the gem's spell -- it all sounds like a crazy dream, or a twist on The Little Princess.


The Dog Stars by Peter Heller // I'm cheating a bit by putting this one on my list, because it actually is on my shelf already. I picked it up in the bargain section at our university store a week ago to add to my ever-growing stack. It's part apocalypse, part saga, and it made it on to a few of the Goodreads member's 'best books of 2012' lists. From browsing the reviews, it seems like one of those stories that you either fall in love with or completely despise. I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.


The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly // You may already have picked up on the fact that I am a fan of fairytales, but if you know me personally then you know that they simply captivate me. I will pick a fairytale over another book any day, and I love writing that is influenced by them. The influence for this story originates with the tales of the Brothers Grimm, and is supposed to be a great read. An unfortunate boy's books begin to whisper to him from their shelves, and soon he finds himself in an alternate world filled with creatures from the imagination: monsters, heroes, and a king with a secret hidden in The Book of Lost Things. One review described it as "a fairytale turned nightmare."

Clearly I am on a bit of a fantasy/unrealistic kick with my picks this month. What's on your to-read list for March?


p.s. Don't forget, today is World Read Aloud Day! Celebrate the infinite power of words and help to spread a love of literacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment