Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Currently Coveting {April}

April is going to be an extremely busy month around here -- but busy in a good way. I'll be taking over the classroom in my student teaching placement, launching my very own literacy unit (details to come!) and jet setting for a week of pure relaxation at the resort where my brother has been interning. Needless to say, I am so happy that April is here. Since I'll be taking a week to lay on the beach and indulge in my to-read list, I'm queuing up a few books to take with me! First on the list is this Pulitzer Prize winner, which just about everyone has raved about since it first debuted in 2014. I'm still considering other candidates to tuck into my suitcase, including my finds for April below...


The Rivals of Versailles by Sally Christie // I read and loved the first in this series before it's debut over the summer. I remembered recently that the second in the series was due out in April so I immediately pre-ordered the second. Not only are the covers beautiful, the historical detail is rich and the stories are almost too scandalous to believe, but the history behind it all is true! If you're a fan of historical fiction, I highly recommend looking into this series (this second installment came out just yesterday)!


America's First Daughter by Stephanie Drat & Laura Kamoie // I've been re-reading this middle grade historical fiction novel about the children that Thomas Jefferson had with one of his slaves. It casts Martha Jefferson Randolph in a not-so-positive light, and I'm curious to read a different account of her life as the daughter of a founding father.


Salt by Mark Kurlansky // I've realized that my interest in non-fiction mostly centers around small details in history. I stumbled across this account of how salt -- something that seems so unassuming --  has shaped the history of humanity. Definitely worth checking out at the library this month.


The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma // This sounds like the sweetest memoir. A girl and her dad make a deal, that he'll read to her every night for 100 nights. When the 100 nights are up, neither of them want the tradition to come to an end. They continue until the day she leaves for college, and here she writes about the many books and life lessons that she learned from that time together. 

***

What are you looking forward to reading this month?

Happy Reading!
~Madeleine~




No comments:

Post a Comment