Saturday, August 22, 2015

Instagram Updates & Weekend Reading

Hello lovelies!

I would say happy weekend, but lately my weekends have been packed with 8-hour classes, so it's not exactly feeling like the weekend around here. It's our last weekend of summer classes, however, so I am ready to celebrate with some time at home next week, where my plans mostly consist of hours upon hours at the beach with a book in hand. Sounds perfect, right?

In the meantime, I thought I'd leave you with some updates from my Instagram, as well as some fun bookish links from around the web!

I've been making a list of both adult and children's classics that I'd like to tackle in 2016. So far, it includes Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess, L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables, and Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. Have a recommendation for me? Leave a comment or send me an e-mail!
Lately, my Kindle has become my best friend. I love the ease of slipping it into my purse or book bag, and my favorite feature is that it can predict how long it will take me to read a book based on my reading speed. I've been working with publishers via Net Galley to read a lot of books in anticipation of the fall publishing season and most of them are in the form of e-books. You can read my reviews of just a few of them hereherehere, and here.
My grandparents sent me a big box of antique books and I have been relishing in sorting through them. This is one of my favorites, a beautifully maintained edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've put it on my list of books to read in October. I'm still figuring out how to properly catalog the books but I love how much history each of them holds!
I went to a book sale last month and scored a huge stack of books for my classroom library. As soon as I plunked them down on the counter, the cashier laughed and asked if I was a teacher. "Not yet!" I said with a grin. (The same thing happened when I raided Target's dollar section for back-to-school supplies.) I'm still collecting books for students of all ages (I could be teaching anywhere from 1st to 8th grade!), so if you're interested in donating, please send me an e-mail at topshelftext@gmail.com!
Speaking of back-to-school, not only will I be student teaching in fourth grade this year, I'll also be in classes on campus! This is the textbook for my most-anticipated class, and I'm sure you can guess why. If you're a teacher or someone who just loves children's lit, I highly recommend this text. It has list upon list of the best works in children's lit and I have been thumbing through it non-stop. I expect that it will inspire more than a few blog posts this year!

Finally, I'll leave you with a few fun links from around the web for your weekend reading pleasure! And, if you're currently reading something that's worth sharing, leave a comment below!









No comments:

Post a Comment