Friday, February 24, 2017

Review: 84, Charing Cross Road


One of the perks of joining a book club has been that I really have to make time for reading specific books each month. Outside of reading for publishers, I generally just select whatever book catches my eye when deciding what to read next. In December, my book club read Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, and 84, Charing Cross Road was the flight pairing for the month. I hadn't really read a collection of real letters before, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved this book. The letters represent twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, a freelance writer in New York City, and the staff of Marks & Co., an antique and used bookstore located in London. 

I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud when reading this book. It only took me a few hours to fly through the whole thing and I loved every page. Helene's personality was so strong and her sarcasm and genuine enthusiasm for books had me totally charmed. Highly recommended for kindred spirits who love books about books. 

Bottom Line Rating: 5/5

Title: 84, Charing Cross Road
Author: Helene Hanff
Publisher: Penguin Books, 1970
Price: $10 on Amazon
ISBN: 0140143505
Format: Paperback
Source: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment