Monday, August 11, 2014

Currently Coveting {August}

 Lately I've been wanting to do nothing but read, which I think comes with the territory of lazy, late summer days. Reading a book that's genuinely enthralling is the best feeling, and I've been trying to squeeze in more reading time during the day and before bed each night. The result? I've been flying through books like crazy and feel like I might be able to actually tackle the remaining books on my summer to-read list. Besides the (slightly appalling) stack of books that I picked up at the library sale, I've been putting books into my online shopping carts and staring at them for as long as possible before I either (a) impulsively hit the checkout button, or (b) pout about how I shouldn't be buying them and leave them for another day. Below you'll find a few that I am currently coveting...

{on Goodreads}
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain // I know I'm late to the game on this one, but lately it's been the book I've been craving most, partly because of wanderlust and partly because I'm convinced that I'll be in love with it. It's all about Hemingway's first wife, whom he was said to adore beyond anything else. Swoon. Don't be surprised if you see it under my currently reading banner soon.

{on Goodreads}
The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais // You may recognize this from commercials because it's recently been made into a movie starring Helen Mirren (love her!!) and produced by a scroll of celebrities (ahem, Oprah). I stumbled across it a while ago while searching online for cookbooks. There's something about a good novel that can conjure up tastes and smells of exotic places...and this book promises that, plus a heartwarming story of culture and family.

{on Goodreads}
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton // This book caught my eye recently and if I were going to describe it in one word, it would be...intriguing. It tells the story of a young bride who receives an extraordinary gift from her new husband, and spotlights the oppressive role of religion and morality during the golden age of Amsterdam. I've read some reviews of readers that absolutely loved it and compare Burton to Tracy Chevalier, who is a long time favorite of my mom and myself. Definitely going to keep an eye out for it at the library.

{on Goodreads}
Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry // I've been spending a lot of time at the library recently with my babysitting kids and love browsing the 9-12 year old section, as it's my favorite subsection of children's literature. This is one of the books that made it onto my to-read list. It's the story of three children whose father's newly acquired wealth turns their lives upside down. In their new swanky apartment in NYC, they discover that the former owner had transformed it into a big puzzle, and set out to find the promised fortune at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment