Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Kids' Summer Reading Challenge

Back again with a new summer reading challenge, and this time it's for the littles in your life! I made this challenge with only four categories because I wanted children to feel successful with it -- no matter what level they're reading at! It should be fun and easy to rise to this challenge. In addition to my grown-up summer reading challenge, I'll be reading children's literature to fulfill these categories too, so I've included some suggestions for middle grade novels (my biggest area of expertise) in each category below, however, this challenge could easily be met with picture books or with early chapter books as well.

You can download the PDF version here.

#1: Read a book that takes place in a far-off land (real or imaginary)
This is a category that my always growing to-read stack could easily fulfill. I love fantasy books, so I'm going to take it in that direction with Alistair Grimm's Odditorium, which I was given last summer and still haven't read. I also just purchased Gail Carson Levine's Fairest, so that's a contender for this category too.

My recommendations: 
Hunt for the Pyxis by ZoĆ« Ferraris
Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson
House of Secrets by Chris Columbus

#2: Read a non-fiction book about something or someone that you find interesting
For this one, I'd like to read the Young Reader's Edition of I am Malala, a young woman whom I find both inspiring and interesting. I really haven't read too many memoirs or biographies for kids, but I'm thinking Roald Dahl's autobiography might be a good pick too.

#3 Read the first book in a new series
I'm hoping to read The Ability for this, which is a highly rated fantasy series that I've had my eye on for a while. I have a ton of middle grade series listed on my middle grade shelf on Goodreads, if you're looking for a selection to choose from. I highly recommend The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series. They are two of my absolute favorites.

#4 Read a book about a book
This is always a favorite category of mine. (I even wrote a whole list of books about books for adults!) I recommend The Forbidden Library, but Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library is a favorite among my students so I think I'll be reading that one this summer, along with Book Scavenger. (All three of these books could work for the first book in a series category too!)


I'm in the camp of teachers who believe that it doesn't really matter what your child is reading this summer, as long as they are reading a lot!! Reading is such a great way for kids to relax (screen-free) during the summer time, and buddy-reading with your kids can be a catalyst for great conversations. If you're looking for other ways to make reading fun this summer, you can read my post from a few years ago here.


I'm realizing I have a whole lot of books on my to-read list for this summer, so you can bet that I'm officially starting on that list this weekend! If you're looking for picks tailored to the little in your life (or for yourself), feel free to shoot me an e-mail at topshelftext@gmail.com!

Happy Reading!
-Madeleine-


No comments:

Post a Comment