Thursday, October 2, 2014

Currently Coveting {October}

October already? So strange how time seems to both speed up and slow down during the fall. Though the hours in lectures are on the slower side, the weeks fly by and I am so looking forward to diving headfirst into one of my favorite months of the year. The leaves have changed this past week and I am reveling in the colorful scenes outside my window. And can I just say, walking to class with crunching leaves underfoot is one of my favorite feelings.

So before the cold and snow come and we get holed up inside until April, let's make time to lay out in the grass and savor that golden autumn light. What better way to soak up these moments than with a book in hand? Here are a few picks that I've put on my wish list this month:



Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty // I've been seeing this title everywhere, and it's received fantastic ratings on Goodreads since it was published in mid-September. It's a memoir, full of humor and character, and also apparently has a great perspective on death and our culture.


Wonder by R.J. Palacio // My roommate recently read this for a class and flew through it in under two days. It was that good, and she says that despite its 320 pages, its compelling enough to be a quick read. It's actually a young adult novel, but it's been really well received by older audiences since it came out in 2012. She added that it features the best and worst of humanity-- a recommendation like that had me begging to borrow it. 




First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen by Charlie Lovett // Surprisingly enough, I didn't have a running list of books in mind for this month's currently coveting feature. I actually thought that I might have to just stick with the two listed above, until I received my October Goodreads letter, which features new works by authors I've already read (I highly suggest signing up for it if you have a Goodreads account) and saw this book on the list. It won't be released until October 16th, but I practically fell out of my chair in my rush to pre-order it from the library. I read the author's first book, The Bookman's Tale, last year and it made it onto my top ten of 2013 list. It was one of those books that I had just happened upon while browsing in the library, and by the time I finished I had a small bout of post-book depression because it was over. So looking forward to this one and hoping it lives up to my expectations!

What are you looking forward to reading this month?



No comments:

Post a Comment