Friday, January 17, 2014

Reading Resolutions

I know we're already three weeks into January, but I've been taking my time in brainstorming my reading resolutions for the year. I have my personal resolutions of course, but I thought it would be fun to challenge myself in a few different ways when it comes to my to-read list.

Classics Challenge

Which entails finishing at least four classics this year...something that I've struggled with in the past. That's an average of one classic every three months, which doesn't sound too bad considering that I read an average of five books per month. I'm not going to say that they have to be classics that are new to me, because in all honesty when we read these books in school it's hard to turn off your analytical side long enough to enjoy the book as simply a great piece of literature. That being said, I'm compiling a list of possible picks and would love to hear some recommendations!

Biography & Memoir Challenge

For which I'm going to pick two biographies or memoirs of people {living or dead} that I admire. I already know that I Am Malala is going to be one of them. She's an incredible young woman, and I while I know that reading her story will be emotional, I am so looking forward to it. I read Destiny of the Republic in 2012 and loved it. I've never loved a piece of non-fiction so much {except maybe this one} and I'd consider re-reading it for this challenge but that kind of feels like cheating. I'm still brainstorming for my second choice, but I'm thinking Cleopatra might be an option...although I also have a biography of Dante on my shelf waiting to be read...decisions, decisions...

History Challenge

That is, American history challenge. Aside from the type of history featured in movies like National Treasure (don't even pretend that you didn't love it), American history isn't my favorite subject. I'm hoping to find a history book that piques my interest and keeps me interested. I currently am deciding between America Aflame and America's Women, but I'd be willing to hear recommendations for this  challenge too!

No comments:

Post a Comment